Sunday, June 1, 2008

Political correctness

Everything can be taken to far. Political correctness is just one of those things, for example. When I was a child equal rights and woman's lib were hot items in the press. All of a sudden you couldn't call a chairman who was a woman by that title, you had to call her a chairwoman or worse yet a chairperson. Now, I have to admit I'm a man, so perhaps I can't see the way this was hurting women. The woman had the position, the power, the authority why does it matter that the word chosen for this position was masculine? Did it make her a man? Did it suggest that it should be a man in the position? I don't think so. I think we know what the word means and I think it's just childish to demand that manhole covers become person hole covers and that everyone who plays on a high school sports team gets a letter, and fat people are just calorie intake challenged. I'm sorry was I ranting ? Oh right, that's what this blog is for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the craziest part is not knowing what is the correct thing to do. Should I open a door for a woman I work with? Am I expected to pay on the first date or is that remnants of chauvinism? In all honesty, I don't care, but, it would be nice to know. There needs to be some kind of uniformity or something.

patgiron said...

Hey little brother, I'm liking what I am reading. Keep up the good work and ranting. It will always make you feel better to put fingers to keys and spew out your opinion. I may even go back to writing in my blog after your inspirational ranting.
Love you,
Pat